Friday 28 November 2014

Pistachio and sour cherry brownies...

I had a little slip up with a recipe recently - you know when you  get over confident and charge in and chuck all your ingredients into the bowl and then realise that it says 6 egg whites - not 6 eggs! maybe its just me but that sort thing happens to me too often. This time I decided to make the most of my mistake and make brownies - Nigellas brownies from her Domestic Goddess book. That's a lot of eggs for a Brownie mix but its shows in their rich deliciousness and as the supermodels say...they're worth it!

Nigella uses walnuts in her recipe and so do I usually but this is usually greeted with faces of disgust by my children who loathe them. She warns against uses pistachios as they don't give the required crunch when cooked into the brownies but I thought Id give them a go and find another way to create some crackle. the sour cherries gave them a bit of a grown up feel without overpowering them - but they still needed something more so I set to work on a topping. 

I made a simple caramel adding a pinch of Rock Salt and then let it set rock solid in the fridge. Whilst this was cooling I blitzed the left over pistachios then set to work on the sugary glass - breaking it up and then blitzing it into a dust with the nuts. I brushed the tops with a little bit of sugar syrup and then dipped them in the dust - hey presto crumbly crunch!
My poshest brownies to date - and all gone, which has to be a good sign!

10 comments:

  1. I love walnuts.My favourite nut as a child although I was hopeless at breaking into them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I've been lax commenting, although I am keeping up with your fun activities. I'm with Sue, I love walnuts with almonds coming in a close second. Alas, I've had to get away from gluten so no thick chewing brownies here these days. But your pics are so pretty I can practically taste them! Glad you enjoyed them. Take care. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am that kind of baker as well, but you have turned an error into something decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love walnuts too & sour cherries. No, you are not the only person who makes mistakes & it can't really be a mistake when you make these wonderful brownies instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am I the only person who hates Brownies - although I have to say yours do look good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your brownies look decadent! No wonder they are all gone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Posh and decadent for sure.
    Wishing you and your family Happy Holidays for Christmas and Best wishes for 2015.
    Warmest of wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to look at that book again and add your notes :-) Usually anything that I cook from Nigella's recipes is successful - as much as I hate to say it (hubby has a crush on her!). Have a wonderful weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make slip-ups all the time, but I'm not sure they come out with such positive results as yours have. I love brownies at the best of times, but that pistachio topping sounds fantabulous indeed. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

I lovelovelove your comments and I read everyone. I might not always get round to replying but I will try my best to...girlguide promise x